ABC News has confirmed with a United States official that about 3,500 more troops are being deployed to the Middle East, from Fort Bragg's 82nd Airborne Division, and could be leaving this weekend.
This comes on the possibility that Iran or proxies might conduct retaliation for Trump's military taking out one of their top generals near the Baghdad airport this week, which has caused rising tensions between Iran and the United States. However, Trump stated that he did this to prevent a war, not start one, as Qassem Soleimani was responsible for a multitude of casualties in previous incidents.
ABC Reports of an escalation and standoff with the United States and Iran, stemming from when "President Donald Trump withdrew from the 2015 nuclear deal and imposed crippling sanctions." They also reported on what Trump said, particularly his quote about Soleimani:
Soleimani "made the death of innocent people his sick passion," Trump said Friday from his estate in Palm Beach, Florida, and he added that "a lot of lives would have been saved" if he'd been hunted down years ago.
750 troops, including a reported 100 Marines and 650 possible paratroopers have already been designated for overseas.
A post made on Fort Bragg's Facebook page went viral earlier this week as the first set of troops were heading out.
The post said:
While the rest of the country is celebrating the new year, Soldiers from the 82nd Airborne Division are deploying to Iraq. Please keep them and all of our Service members in your prayers.