Metal straw pierces woman's eye, impales her brain

The kitchen can be a really dangerous place, and you don't have to be drunk for that. Sometimes it only takes some bad luck and mobility difficulties, just like it happened for 60-year-old Elena Struthers-Gardner from the United Kingdom.

Like she has been doing for years, that horrible day she also wanted to enjoy her favorite drink, straight from the glass with an attached metal straw. That long metal straw, that was stiffly mounted on the glass and its lid turned out to be fatal for Mrs. Elena. Since she had mobility problems for years after her horse-riding accident, she was prone to falling over "like a sack of potatoes," like her wife Mandy said.


That fatal day Elena probably fell down, and the 10-inch long metal straw killed her with a long and painful death, by piercing her left eye and later her brain. Elena's wife, Mandy found her lying on the floor in the kitchen, making "unusual gurgling sounds."

She also added: "I noticed the straw was sticking into her head. I called 999 and requested an ambulance."

But unfortunately for Mrs. Elena, it was already too late. The next day, the doctors switched off her life support as they were unable to help her. What else they could do, if the metal straw pierced her brain. There are few people that may survive such accidents by pure luck (like all these stories about some guys living with a bullet or some metal piece near their skulls for years – it does happen, but rarely), sadly that was not the case with Elena.


Brendan Allen, the coroner, resumes it: "It seems to me these metal straws should not be used with any form of lid that holds them in place. It seems the main problem here is if the lid hadn’t been in place the straw would have moved away."

Is a $1,200 relief check a waste of time?

Completing this poll entitles you to our news updates free of charge. You may opt out at anytime. You also agree to our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Reply to:
Login or Sign Up to comment.