Terrorist attacks Manchester Arena during Ariana Grande concert
A suicide bomber detonated an explosive device during the Ariana Grande concert at Manchester Arena in the UK. The explosion killed 22 and wounding over 50 at the time this was reported.
The attack was committed by a suicide bomber who detonated an explosive device. The explosion was in a public space outside of the venue where many people walk to leave the arena.The concert was almost over and some people were leaving the venue early, possibly to beat traffic leaving the parking area.
pic.twitter.com/cPwkQbrYp2— Manchester Arena (@ManchesterArena) May 23, 2017
Ariana Grande Tweeted after the attack of her concert:
from the bottom of my heart, i am so so sorry. i don't have words.
A representative for Ariana has said that the singer was not injured, but she is deeply saddened by the horrific events that unfolded.
- At least 19 people were killed and as many 59 others were being treated at a total of six hospitals across Manchester, police confirmed.
- Police said they would treat the explosion as a "terrorist incident" until they know otherwise. Manchester police said they were working with national police and intelligence agencies to investigate.
- Ariana Grande tweeted: "broken. from the bottom of my heart, i am so so sorry. i don't have words." She was not injured, a representative for the singer said.
- The blast rang out in a "public space" outside the venue, according to arena officials.
- "U.S. citizens in the area should heed direction from local authorities and maintain security awareness," the Department of Homeland Security announced, adding: "At this time, we have no information to indicate a specific credible threat involving music venues in the United States."
- The concert was almost finished at the time, and guests had started to leave the arena.
- Police said it appeared to be one explosion, not two, despite earlier reports from witnesses. The explosion unfolded around 10:35 p.m. local time.
Islamic State supporters have celebrated the attack on social media. A vile Jihadi had been seen posting on social media about the explosion at Manchester Arena up to one hour before the attack happened, but it now seems apparent that either no one saw it or didn't take it serious.
ISIS has claimed responsibility for the suicide attack. Authorities have confirmed that this is being treated as a terrorist attack.
Vote now to REMOVE Pelosi from GOVT!
Family and friends scrambled to locate their loved ones almost immediately after the attack. Some were not so lucky.
If you are missing a loved one and have still not been able to make contact you are being advised by Manchester Police to call (country code +44) 0800 096 0095. Facebook has opened up their safety check feature for those involved in the attack. People can check in to let their loved ones know they are safe.
British Prime Minister Teresa May offered her condolences and said that her thoughts were with the victims and their families. This was followed by other leaders around the world and even the public offering their condolences on social media,some were heartbroken, some even angry and distraught.
This was a concert for the younger generation who were unfortunate targets in a horrible attack.
Canadians are shocked by the news of the horrific attack in Manchester tonight. Please keep the victims & their families in your thoughts.
The Canadian Prime Minister chimed in with support for the victims and families.
This was a horrible attack on young people and it has accomplished nothing.